Website disclaimer

All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jan 20 2018, 12:51

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 40k ToG: Dan's Blood Angels
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22 2012, 07:52 
Committee Member

Background

Strike force Dardanus was established in early M38 to combat escalating xenos raids in the Avaron sector. The xenos raids were soon identified as being Dark Eldar slave taking runs and the resulting campaign was long and frustrating as the Dark Eldar proved elusive and cowardly. After several years of playing cat and mouse with the xenos the Dark Eldar mysteriously abandoned the region and all raids ceased. After remaining in the sector for a further year to ensure the Dark Eldar had truly left Captain Dardanus had his strike force begin the return voyage back to Baal.
Unfortunately for Dardanus and his strike force while traversing the warp their strike cruiser, Diomedes, passed too close to the Aticarius warp storm and inadvertently traversed a temporal dislocation anomaly. They arrived at Baal in late M41 with only a few months having passed on board their ship. The entire strike force had been listed as missing in action and every marine had been replaced. Even the Diomedes had been re-commissioned. The Chapter Master and his council convened, and after lengthy discussions decided what to do with strike force Dardanus.
Now Captain Dardanus and his strike force head out of the Baal system aboard the Diomedes hastily undergoing re-structuring and re-armament. As soon as they reach the edge of the system they are to begin a quest to investigate any potential cure for the flaw. The council has deemed their sudden appearance as a blessing from the Emperor; that they have been sent in the Chapter’s hour of need so that they might save the Chapter while the rest of the Blood Angels continue their wars against His enemies.

Month 1

Captain Acrisius

Formerly Captain of the 6th tactical company, Acrisius has returned to Baal to find his post is now occupied by another. This does not concern Acrisius much as he always linked his command to the marines under him, rather than a given physical location or title. As all those whom he used to command have long since died Acrisius has no trouble relinquishing command of the 6th. Acrisius now serves as Captain Dardanus’ second in command – the role to which he was assigned when task force Dardanus was first formed in M38.
Captain Acrisius’ centuries of command of the 6th tactical company have had a strong influence on his preferred form of combat. Acrisius is a strong believer in the deployment of tactical squads in preference to any other type of squad, to the point where he will only use other squad types to begrudgingly give them combat experience so that they can one day progress to being tactical marines themselves. This is also reflected in his personal weapon choices. Acrisius nearly always enters combat armed only with his boltgun and chainsword “as the Emperor intended” as he is fond of saying.

Squad Makedon

Formed from survivors of strike force Dardanus’ original three tactical squads, squad Makedon was the first squad to report battle-ready status after leaving Baal. Sergeant Makedon served under Captain Acrisius for several centuries before being assigned to strike force Dardanus when it was originally formed. His former mentor’s mentality regarding the superiority of tactical squads has also crept into Makedon’s thinking. Makedon prefers to deploy with a boltgun rather than the usual boltpistol sported by most sergeants and he also pushes his squad to their limits in order to demonstrate their seniority over tactical and devastator squads. This probably accounts for them being the first squad to become battle ready. Squad Makedon frequently serves as an honour guard for Captain Acrisius: Makedon finds he works well with his former mentor and Acrisius much prefers to depend on a tactical squad rather than any other squad type.

Post subject: Re: 40k ToG: Dan's Blood Angels
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 2012, 20:10 
Committee Member

Battle Reports

Battle 1
Scenario: Battleforce Recon with the Suicide Squads rule (everything is an independent character. We streamlined this a bit so that any group of models could either count as a unit or as independent characters as necessary, reducing the number of dangerous terrain and run rolls, etc).
The Armies: 270 points versus Graham’s Eldar. Graham had a unit of guardians, a unit of dire avengers and a warlock. I had a tactical squad and a captain.
The Battlefield:
Pre-battle: Graham won the roll-off for deployment and chose the top-left corner, placing me in the bottom-right. Graham had no commander and so made no warlord traits roll. I rolled Master of Offence (gain Furious Charge while in the enemy deployment zone), which I knew from the beginning would be totally useless. I also forgot to make any Red Thirst rolls.

The Game: Graham took the first turn, sending his dire avengers more or less straight at me while his guardians and warlock headed for the wood. I sent my missile launcher tactical marine to take up position by objective 1. My captain and a few marines ran at Graham’s dire avengers, and the rest of my marines (including the flame thrower marine) headed for the woods.

On my right flank, the guardians entered the wood to find it was a razowing nest. This thinned his guardians down a bit by the time they reached the far end of the wood, at which point a hit them with the flamer and some rapid fire bolter shots. This killed the warlock, but the remaining guardians returned fire (they had two fusion blasters, sneaky Eldar trickery!) thinning the right flank down to two marines versus four guardians. The guardians charged and I forgot to use overwatch. I was reduced to a single marine.

Meanwhile on the left flank, my missile launcher marine was harrying the enemy with snap-shot krak missiles as he moved into position, then proceeded to use frag missiles. My captain was shot down by massed dire avenger fire, but my marines returned fire and drove them into the ruins containing objective 2 (where to cowards would remain until almost the end of the game). The missile launcher marine was killed, denying me objective 1 so I redirected all remaining marines to the close combat by the wood.

With my forces concentrated by the wood I was able to wipe out the remaining guardians. One marine made a dash for objective 3, strategically avoiding enemy line of sight to ensure the mission goals were achieved. Another marine remained near the wood to secure objective 4 while my sergeant dashed back towards objective 1. If he could assault the lone dire avenger stood near it and kill him he would claim a third objective for me. Alas, I accidentally shot him before I could make the charge (whoops).

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels victory! I gained two objectives and first blood for 5 points, while Graham held one objective and had slay the warlord for 3 points.

Battle 2
Scenario: Battleforce Recon with the Suicide Squads rule (played the same as in battle report 1).
The Armies: 270 points versus Graham’s Eldar. Graham had a unit of dire avengers, 5 rangers and a war walker with shuriken cannons. I had a tactical squad and a captain.
The Battlefield:
Pre-battle: This time I won to deploy first and chose the bottom-left as it was closest to two objectives. Graham deployed his dire avengers in his deployment zone and chose to do the same with his war walker, reasoning to use flank deployment in such a small game would be un-sporting. He did however choose to use his infiltrate deployment on his rangers to place two in the wood, claiming objective 1 with two and objective 4 with the remaining three. Unfortunately for Graham the wood turned out to be a carnivorous jungle, forcing him to move out of it in his first turn. Again, Graham had no warlord and this time I forgot to roll for a warlord trait on my captain. I did remember my Red Thirst rolls though, but no one succumbed.

The Game: I had the first turn. I sent four marines plus my flame thrower marine towards objective 3, again tactically avoiding enemy line of sight. My missile launcher marine fired a krak missile at the war walker and scored a glancing hit. The rest of my forces followed the bottom table edge heading for objective 4. Graham responded by sending his dire avengers towards objective 2, skirting around the ruins near the centre of the table. His war walker hid behind the ruins near objective 4 but had a woefully poor shooting phase. The rangers attempted to snipe key marines, but failed to achieve anything.

In turn two I finished off the war walker with another krak missile and killed a couple of rangers with bolters, while Graham focussed fire on the marines by objective 3, killing a couple. Over the next couple of turns the dire avengers moved to claim objective 2 while my captain and sergeant made it to objective 4, killing the rangers there in close combat.

In the final turns of the game my missile launcher marine was killed and the marines by objective 3 were reduced to a single man. But by objective 4 I was able to place two marines to hold it while my captain and sergeant charged the dire avengers. The sergeant failed to engage before the end of the game, but the captain made it and survived the combat to contest the objective.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels victory! I gained two objectives and first blood for 5 points, while Graham held one objective for 2 points.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 2012, 15:06 
Committee Member

Loving the battle reports. Its unfortunate that you are using such a broken army as Blood Angels, if you weren't I would have had more of a chance! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 2012, 16:35 
Committee Member

Pathetic xenos excuses! You turned up with a walker at 270 points and still couldn't win.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23 2012, 09:36 
Committee Member

Month 2

Brother Eetio

Once destined to become a Company captain, brother Eetio’s rise through the ranks was cut short by an Ork warboss’ power klaw. Eetio’s valiant last stand bought his brothers vital time to complete their mission and as reward for his service he was interred in one of the Chapter’s dreadnaughts. He was assigned to strike force Dardanus to provide mobile anti-tank support as well as advice regarding Eldar trickery. Now that strike force Dardanus has been reassigned Eetio continues his anti-tank role and helps to guide Dardanus on its quest with his centuries of battle experience.

Squad Temenus

Sergeant Temenus is an accomplished tutor to neophytes and has now seen three squads through to full space marine status. After the Averon campaign he was due to return to duty in a tactical squad but given the circumstances of strike force Dardanus’ return to Baal, Temenus has elected to continue training scouts. To help replace losses that will inevitably occur during the strike force’s new mission Commander Dante was able to assign a small number of neophytes to Dardanus and Temenus is the best brother to guide them. Temenus prefers not to fight against the lust for close combat present in most young Blood Angels, and so equips his squad for melee. Once a scout learns the benefit of softening up the enemy with ranged fire Temenus equips them with shotguns.

Objectives

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28 2012, 21:30 
Committee Member

Battle 3

Scenario: Battleforce Recon
The Armies: 520 points versus Rich’s Tyranids. Rich had three warriors, a prime, 14 termagants and ten genestealers with a brood lord. I had a tactical squad , scout squad (both broken into combat squads), a captain, and a dreadnought.
The Battlefield:
Pre-battle: I won the roll-off for deployment and chose the bottom-left corner, forcing Richard to advance to claim any objectives. We both rolled Target Priority for our warlord traits. Once again I completely forgot to roll for the Red Thirst. Richard won the roll-off to deploy infiltrators, so he deployed his genestealers in the ruins containing objective 4, and then I deployed my two scout combat squads to claim objectives 1 and 2.

The Game: I had the first turn. I didn’t like the look of the genestealers which were suddenly very close to my deployment zone, so I opened fire with both combat squads, my dreadnought and my captain. My warlords Target Priority ability failed to help, but I was able to kill three genestealers none-the-less.

In Richard’s first turn the genestealers ran a total of 9” towards combat squad two. The termagants ran 8” towards scout squad two, while the warriors and prime advanced 6” along-side them and fired their venom cannon at scout squad one. I had packed them too close together so he easily killed two, but they didn’t break.

In my second turn both my combat squads, the dreadnought and the captain advanced towards the genestealers and opened fire. Many were now in rapid fire range so I killed another five and wounded the brood lord. Both my scout units spread out to prevent me taking casualties as easily as in Rich’s last turn, and scout squad one climbed down from the top of the ruin (where they were tightly packed together and exposed) and hid behind the ruin’s wall.

In Rich’s second turn his termagants ran another 8” towards scout squad one. The brood lord charged combat squad two and used his hypnotic gaze to negate one marines attacks, but some bad luck with Rich’s rolls saw the brood lord only kill an single marine. The warriors and prime ran 9” towards scout squad one.

In my third turn combat squad one began advancing towards objective four while firing upon the termagants (who by now were just reaching the ruins housing scout squad one), killing one termagant. The dreadnought advanced towards the termagants but failed to kill anything. My captain charged into combat with the brood lord, but the brood lord issued a challenge, preventing the rest of my combat squad from helping out. Both the captain and brood lord inflicted a wound on each other, but both were saved.

In Rich’s third turn the termagants again ran 8”, while the warriors ran 7”, both heading for scout squad one. The brood lord rended the captain for one wound, forcing combat squad two to run off the board and giving Rich the first victory point of the game. The captain held his nerve and kept fighting.

In my fourth turn my dreadnought advanced towards the termagants and shot two dead. Combat squad one continued heading for objective four and shot another three termagants. The termagants were now within bolt pistol range of scout squad one, so they were able to kill another. My captain suffered another wound in his duel.

By Rich’s fourth turn the termagants were finally able to charge scout squad one, but as they charged through the ruins the scouts were able to strike first. The scouts killed three termagants and only suffered a single casualty in return. The termagants held as the warriors had run up alongside them and kept them in synapse range. The captain continued to stay in the fight, this combat phase passing three saving throws.

In my fifth turn I redirected combat squad one towards objective three. The dreadnought headed for scout squad one, who were able to kill two termagants and suffer no casualties themselves. Finally, and inevitably, the captain died to the brood lord, having never inflicted a single wound on the beast.

In Rich’s fifth turn his prime left the warriors and assaulted the two survivors of scout squad one, killing one while the termagants killed the other. The warriors fired on scout squad two, who still weren’t spread out enough to avoid two being hit. Two died and they fled off the board. The brood lord moved towards combat squad one, who were nearly at objective three.

In my final turn combat squad one moved close enough to objective three to claim it, and then opened fire on the approaching brood lord. Alas, it passed all its saves. The dreadnought advanced on the warriors but failed to charge them.

In Rob’s last turn the termagants claimed objective one, the prime re-joined the warriors and their venom cannon scored a glancing hit on the dreadnought. The brood lord charged combat squad one and killed a single marine, but they held their nerve. The brood lord wasn’t close enough to contest the objective so it remained in Blood Angel hands.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels defeat. I gained one objectives for two points, while Rich held one objective, first kill and a warlord kill for four points.

Using scouts to claim remote objective with their infiltrate ability is only going to work if I can prevent anyone from challenging them, as five-marine scout combat squads can’t last long against most units. I should have been much more aggressive with my non-scoring units to take the pressure off my scouts. Alternatively, I could keep them in reserve and deploy them using their outflank ability to claim objectives near the board edge later, preventing the scouts from being shot at early in the game. I also need to remember to space them out so only one can be hit by a blast template at once. They should also have used the cover better: scout squad one deployed on top of the ruins where they could be shot, and scout squad two never entered the woods because I feared the mysterious terrain roll.

I forgot Red Thirst again (though I doubt it would have changed much), but crucially I forgot to use overwatch and deny the witch, both of which could have made a big difference when dealing with the brood lord.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28 2012, 11:58 
Committee Member

Battle report 4

Battle 4
Scenario: Big Guns Never Tire
The Armies: 825 points versus Rich’s Tyranids. Rich had a prime with three warriors, two units of termagants (16 and 18 strong), two zoanthropes, two hive guard, another three warriors and a mycetic spore. I had my captain, a tactical squad (broken into combat squads), a scout squad, a dreadnought and my new full strength bike squad (also split into combat squads).
The Battlefield:
Attachment:
Battle Report BA 4.png
Battle Report BA 4.png [ 46.78 KiB | Viewed 7805 times ]

Pre-battle: My warlord trait was Immovable Object, which I thought might be useful, but it was unlikely. Rich rolled Master of the Vanguard. My biker squad failed their Red Thirst check. I won the roll-off for deployment and chose to go first. My plan was to use the dreadnought and tactical combat squad to hold objective two. As the loss of my dreadnought would cost me a victory point I was being a bit conservative with him, and TS2 had the sergeant and flamer which would help them defend the ruins they were in. Tactical squad one had the missile launcher and the captain, so I planned to have them sit on objective three and provide covering fire. Biker combat squad one was just five bikers. Their job was to distract Rich by driving straight into his deployment zone. Biker combat squad two had a sergeant with power fist, two meltaguns and a multi-melta armed assault bike. Their job was to deal out as much punishment as possible. Rich deployed his forces as shown on the map, keeping the warriors with prime in reserve ready to deep strike via mycetic spore (or “drop pod” as Rich kept calling it). I was then free to deploy my scouts in the woods close enough to objective four to claim it.

The Game: Rich failed to claim the initiative so I went first. My dreadnought and TS2 moved forwards to claim objective four. The dreadnought used his multi-melta to fry one of the warriors of W1. TS1 moved onto objective three and B2 moved forwards 12”, heading between the woods and the ruins. B1 only shuffled forwards slightly, bringing them into range of T2 so they could kill three termagants with their bolters. Rich responded by advancing everything he had. The zoanthropes moved onto the roof of the ruin that they had started behind, while the hive guard stayed hidden behind. At this point I assumed they must be a troop choice and that they were there to hold objective one – then they opened fire on my dreadnought (no line of sight is required, apparently) and promptly blew it up. First kill (and a heavy choice at that) to Rich, netting him two victory points. The zoanthropes psychic blasted TS2 but failed to kill any.

In my second turn I had TS2 spread themselves out to limit the damage that they would be taking from the zoanthrope blasts. They also fired on T2, killing four of them. I was considering sending B1 towards to woods, out of harm’s way, but then realized that was the wrong mentality to adopt. Instead the ploughed into T2, killing two with their bolt pistols and two on the charge. The plan was to distract and tie up as much of Rich’s army as possible. TS1 fragged T1 with their missile launcher, killing one. Finally B2 moved towards Rich’s deployment zone, allowing them to see the back of T2 past the ruins – they killed another two with their bolters. Rich rolled for his reserves and passed, deploying his mycetic spore, three warriors and prime right next to TS1. That was annoying. They opened fire on TS1, but failed to kill anyone, but then the spore opened fire and killed two of them. TS2 passed the panic test and stayed put. The hive guard killed one of TS2 and the zoanthropes also blasted them. I denied one blast and the other missed. But then Rich took the bait big style, both T1 and W1 charged into B1. Almost his entire army (and three out of four of his scoring units) were locked in combat miles from the nearest objective. In the resulting combat the bikers killed a termagant and suffered a single casualty in return.

In turn three I decided that holding on to objective two was not going to happen. TS2 would be killed by the zoanthropes and hive guard. So I threw them at the mass brawl in the middle – if they could not get me any objectives, they may as well tie up Rich’s scoring units as long as possible. B2 responded to the new warriors by heading back towards objective three. They were able to kill two out of the three warriors with their bolt guns and milti-melta. They then charged the mycetic spore. TS1 also shot at the warriors, inflicting a further two wounds, then charged them. The prime issued a challenge and the captain accepted. I inflicted one wound on the warrior and one on the prime and suffered none in return. At this point I realised it was illegal for the bikers to charge the spore after shooting something else, so we moved them back out of combat. In the central brawl TS2 inflicted six casualties when they charged, the bikers killed one, and the Tyranids killed two of TS2. I won, but the Tyranids were fearless. I also had my scout unit fan out so that they held on to objective four but were also in Rich’s deployment zone – it was unlikely anyone would get to them so they didn’t need to keep hiding in the wood. In Rich’s turn he found his zoanthropes and hive guard were denied any targets, so they simply ambled closer. His mycetic spore shot B2 and killed a biker. In the central combat I lost one biker and killed three termagants. Near objective three my captain was wounded, and the unit failed their break test. They withdrew and regrouped, having passed the opposed initiative test.

Having not remembered my lesson from earlier, B2 moved towards the hive guard and opened fire, ready to charge into the central combat later (it’s hard remembering all these new rules). The shooting didn’t achieve anything. TS1 shot at the warriors and failed to kill anything, then charged in. Things didn’t go as expected when the captain died in the challenge. In the central battle I killed two Tyranids and lost one biker. In Rich’s turn he returned fire on B2. The hive guard were just as in-effective as the bikers had been, but the zoanthropes killed one. The bikers didn’t panic. In the central combat two Tyranids died and the last two bilkers also died. By objective three, the remaining marines were wiped out without their captains support.

In turn five darkness descended (and the legendary acute senses of both the Astartes and Tyranids stopped working), imposing the night fighting rules for the rest of the game. B1 moved back towards objective three. It may not be mine, but if I could kill the reamining warrior (who was on one wound) Rich wouldn’t have it either. Also, if I could kill the prime (only on two wounds) I would get another victory point too. I opened fire, but completely failed to wound anything. I then charged, but only rolled 3” (4” would have got me in). Balls! In the centre combat I wounded a warrior and lost a marine, leaving just the sergeant holding of the swarm single-handed. In Rich’s turn the zoanthropes shot at B2, but both shots missed. The remaining warrior and prime also shot them, wounding the assault bike. The mycetic spore then finished the assault bike off. In the central combat the sergeant fell, but none of the units could reach objective two with their over-run, so he had performed his job well. The hive guard walked into my deployment zone (now that Rich realised it was worth a victory point). With that, the game ended.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels defeat. My scouts gave me three victory points for an objective plus one for line-breaker. Rich had one objective, first kill, a heavy kill, a warlord kill and line-breaker, for a total of seven victory points.

The game was really close. Had I got the charge with my bikes on the last turn I had a good chance of equalizing or even winning, but the dice deserted me right at the end.

Using the scouts to claim an objective worked very well this time. Rich pointed out that if they had a missile launcher they could partake more in the battle, but I think they’re ok as they are. I could have split them and hoped five could outflank near the hive guard to tie them up for a bit, but I could never guarantee the flank they turn up on. It was a shame the dreadnought died so quickly, but I thought the hive guard were melee units, and I hadn’t even seen them deploy behind the ruins, so there was nothing I could have done. The bikers performed very well split into a distraction unit and a hard-hitting unit. I’m starting to think tactical squads (and certainly tactical combat squads) aren’t specialised enough for an elite army like the space marines. With that said, I need them as scoring units at the moment so they have to stay. Perhaps in the future I’ll keep them together.

Once again, warlord traits did nothing.

I forgot overwatch again, though in this game I doubt it would have changed much. We forgot mysterious objectives too, but meh. Crucially, I keep forgetting that you can’t shoot one unit and charge another (that’s going to really screw me sooner or later). I also forgot jink on my bikes (only came into play once) and that they also have the hammer of wrath rule (could have given me five auto-hit on the termagants first turn of the big central combat).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2012, 10:22 
Committee Member

Month 4

Brothers of Baal

The first company veterans assigned to strike force Dardanus are different from every other squad in that they do not go by the name of their sergeant. Instead they are simply known as the Brothers of Baal to demonstrate the equal veteran status held by each squad member. Equally devastating at shooting and in melee, the Brothers of Ball are used as a potent reserve force, striking where they are needed most in the battle.

Terrain Piece

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2012, 17:50 
Captain

I like the green power fists on those terminators, not sure on the omni-assault cannon though, looks bigger than he is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

www.paintedwargames.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2012, 18:57 
Committee Member

I did say I had no idea where I got it from - must have been a tank or something. You're actually safe as its so big he can only aim it up in the air!

I like the power weapons too. My first attempt at object source lighting.

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next