Website disclaimer

All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jan 19 2018, 15:42

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 40k ToG: Dan's Blood Angels
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12 2012, 22:25 
Committee Member

Nice battle report Dan,

As soon as I charged your bikes I forgot that my Termagants had Toxin sacs and should heve been wounding your bikes on 4+

It was a very close game and lots of fun.

...better get a move on with my terrain peice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23 2012, 23:13 
Committee Member

Battle Report 5

Scenario: Crusade
The Armies: 1100 points versus Graham’s Imperial Guard. Graham had a primaries psyker, two chimeras, a manticore, two 20 man platoons (one with two lascannons and one with two autocannons, both with commissars), a veteran unit with plasma guns and a valkyrie. I had my captain, a tactical squad , a scout squad, a dreadnought, a bike squad (split into combat squads) and a unit of terminators.
The Battlefield:
Pre-battle: My warlord trait was Divide to Conquer. It had the potential to delay Graham’s Valkyrie but that was the limit of its usefulness. In the end it didn’t even do that. Graham rolled Night Attacker, which he chose to use. My tactical squad and terminators both failed their Red Thirst checks. I won the roll-off for deployment and chose to go first. Looking at Graham’s army, I decided that splitting my scouts and tactical squads into combat squads was not a good idea as I feared they would get shot up too easily. Keeping them together limited me to only two scoring units though. I decided my best plan was to claim two objectives with these units and use everything else I had to try and deny Graham the other three objectives. To that end, I deployed my tactical squad on objective one. The dreadnought deployed near objective three ready to drive off any unit that may try to claim it. My two biker combat squads (equipped as in my previous battle) deployed centrally. The melta heavy combat squad were to go tank hunting, while the others were to assault the unit that would inevitably go for objective five. My terminators were to deep strike wherever needed, and the scouts could hopefully deploy on objective two or four, depending on how Graham deployed. Graham deployed his forces as shown on the map, keeping the valkyrie in reserve. I was then free to deploy my near objective two in the ruins, ready to move forwards and claim it first turn.

The Game: Graham didn’t want to try and claim the initiative so I went first. Objective one was a skyfire nexus, and objectives two and three were scatterfields. My scouts moved forwards to spread out in the central ruins. My tactical squad also spread out in their ruins. The dreadnought started heading left across the board. Both bike combat squads advanced. Everything that was able to fired on P2, killing several guardsman. In Graham’s turn he advanced C1 so the unit within could disembark and claim objective four, which turned out to be sabotaged. Everything else stayed put and opened fire. With the help of his manticore he was able to wipe out bike squad two (goodbye mult-meltas and hello first blood for Graham).

In turn two I had my dreadnought turn round and start heading back to objective three, while the remaining bike squad shot and assaulted P2. Objective five was revealed to be a grav wave generator, but P2 weren’t actually claiming it so it didn’t slow me down. My terminators arrived, using the scout sergeants locator beacon to teleport just to the north east of the central ruins. They opened fire on the unit holding objective four and killed quite a few. Graham responded by killing a couple of the terminators with concentrated fire. His valkyrie flew on from the western table edge and blew my dreadnought to bits with its three lascannons.

In turn three my terminators advanced towards the unit by objective four, managing to wipe them out. My tactical squad fired on the valkyrie with their missile launcher, but I rolled a one to hit. The combat between my bike squad and P2 continued (damn commissars). In Graham’s turn the manitcore fired on my tactical squad in a bid to protect the valkyrie from their skyfire missile launcher, but failed to kill any space marines. He reduced my terminators down to a single survivor and his valkryie, along with everything else still able to shoot, fired on the scouts. With a 3+ cover save though, they proved very resilient.

Turn four finally saw the biker squad wiped out in combat. I fired another krak missile at the valkyrie from my tactical squad and rolled yet another one to hit. My lone terminator also finally succumbed, but not before killing any scoring units that could possibly claim objective four. Graham had P2 sit on objective five, while P1 advanced slowly towards the scouts (that’s what you get when you hide in difficult terrain).

In turn five I managed to roll yet another one to hit the valkryie with my missile launcher. My scouts moved forwards in their ruins, careful to remain in possession of the objective, and opened fire on P1, killing several guardsmen. In Graham’s turn his valkryie flew south into my deployment zone, while everything shot at the scouts. Again, they proved very resilient due to their cover save. With that, the game ended.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels victory. My scouts and tactical squad gave me three victory points each for objectives. Graham had first kill, line breaker, and a single objective, for five points in total.

I’m very happy that the game pretty much went according to plan. It would have been nice to kill more stuff with the bikers, dreadnought and terminators, but in the end they killed just enough – which is all the matters.

Not splitting the tactical and scout squads made them quite resilient but reduced me to only two scoring units. I really need to get another scoring unit because sooner or later only having two is going to be a problem. The melta biker combat squad were unlucky to be wiped out so quickly, but the others tied up the guardsmen nicely, so they performed well in the end. The dreadnought was a disappointment again – I have yet to see it shine. Perhaps it is just too fragile. The terminators, the latest addition to my force, not only performed their tactical requirement of killing the units that could claim objective four, but they also soaked up most of Graham’s shooting two turns in a row. They may have died in the end, but they probably won me the game.

My warlord trait did nothing, but did have some limited potential, while Grahams was put to good use by both of us.

I was never charged, but I think overwatch was in my mind so I would not have forgotten it this time. I also remembered jink on my bikes and that you can’t assault a unit if you shoot at another. I still forgot hammer of wrath on my bike charge though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15 2012, 12:52 
Committee Member

Battle 6
Scenario: A Brother Falls
Attachment:
Blood Angels Scenario - A Brother Falls.pdf [383.22 KiB]
Downloaded 165 times

The Armies: 1300 points versus Duncan’s Necrons. Duncan had a doomsday ark, annihilation barge, ghost ark (carrying ten Necron warriors), ten Necron warriors with a cryptek, three canoptek wraiths and a night scythe transporting his Necron lord and some immortals. I had my captain, a tactical squad, a scout squad, a dreadnought, a bike squad (split into combat squads), a unit of terminators and my land speeder squadron (two tornados and a typhoon, all with heavy bolters).
The Battlefield:
Pre-battle: My warlord trait was Conquerer of Cities. Again, this was a potentially useful trait given the number of ruins on the board, but in the end had no effect. Duncan rolled Tenacity. Since his warlord started the game in reserve and did not arrive until later, this never had an effect on the game. I won the roll-off for deployment and chose to go first. This was my first time playing Necrons and I hadn’t the faintest idea what to do. I expected everything to be tough, but failed to actually think this through I determine what I had that could hurt stuff and what couldn’t. I planned to have my central unit of bikers (with all the melta weaponry) take out as many vehicles as possible. The other bikers would drive up one flank and try to be a nuisance and then give me linebreaker. The tactical squad would advance onto objective five and sit there, while the scouts could claim both objectives one and two with a little luck. The dreadnought hid behind a ruin, hopefully to emerge later and take out a vehicle, while the land speeder squadron would pounce on any infantry within range and shoot them up. Duncan responded with the deployment shown on the map. I knew the scouts were in for a world of pain and that combat biker squad two was not going to achieve much, but was cautiously optimistic about my right flank.

The Game: Duncan failed to claim the initiative so I went first. Objective one was a targeting relay. Both biker squads advanced forwards then turbo-boosted as nothing was in range. The dreadnought walked out from behind the ruin and used its smoke-launchers. The tactical squad advanced towards objective five and my scouts advanced slightly to bring them more into the wood for cover, before discovering it to be carnivorous and losing a brother to a giant wooden mouth. The land speeder squadron advanced 12” and then fired on the warriors in the bastion, lacking a squishier target. They were able to bring down several warriors and the cryptek. The warriors passed their reanimation checks, but the cryptek failed. Duncan responded by having the warriors rapid fire biker squad one, wiping them out. Biker squad one was targeted by the broadside from the doomsday ark, reducing them to a single survivor, while the doomsday ark’s main gun fired at the land speeders, destroying a tornado, shaking the other tornado and stunning the typhoon.

In turn two my tactical squad continued their advance and my scouts withdrew from the wood of splintery teeth. My tornado circled the stunned typhoon so that at least the tornado would get a jink save. My lone biker drove in to the top corner of the board and lobbed a krak grenade at the rear of the doomsday ark, but failed to penetrate. My terminators arrived, narrowly avoiding the wood in Duncan’s deployment zone. My dreadnought fired on the ghost ark, hoping to bring down its quantum shielding with its multi-melta, but he missed. My terminators opened fire on its side, but only the assault cannon had a hope of penetrating and it failed to do so. Duncan had his wraiths charge and destroy my remaining land speeders. The annihilation barge blew up my dreadnought and everything else focussed fire on my terminators. With over 50 shots Duncan was just able to kill all five.

At the start of turn three I rolled to see which of my characters succumbed to the black rage and found it was my scout sergeant. He targeted the ghost ark and charged off, but spent his shooting phase in the wood and was promptly eaten by a carnivorous plant. So much for the scenario special rules. Denied their sergeant, the scouts spread out to claim both objectives one and two. Objective two turned out to be a skyfire nexus. My tactical marines finally claimed objective five, which was not a special objective, and fired on the wraiths, killing one. Duncan’s night scythe arrived in the top right corner and flew towards my tactical squad. The wraiths charged my tactical squad, and concentrated fire from the rest of his army wiped out my scout unit.

In turn four I wiped out the wraiths in combat and then spread my tactical squad out to minimize the effects of incoming fire. Duncan’s ghost ark dropped off his warrior unit, who claimed objectives one and two. The warriors in the bastion moved out to claim objective three (which turned out to be sabotaged). The night scythe headed towards the centre of the board and dropped of the lord and his immortals between objectives four and five. Objective four was also sabotaged. The immortals and the doomsday ark fired on my tactical squad, but only managed to kill a five.

In turn five the night fighting rules came into play, but by now there was no shooting going on. I fired everything I had at the immortals and killed a couple, while Duncan charged his lord into my tactical squad. I declared a challenge and our warlords were locked into combat. I passed the leadership test for Duncan’s mind scarabs, but then couldn’t get past the lord’s 2+ armour save. The lord failed to hurt my captain too. At that point the game ended.

We played another four rounds of combat to see which of our warlords was best. It turned out to be very disappointing for both players, as both characters were rubbish in a fight. My captain couldn’t even kill the marines in his squad when he failed his mind scarab test. Eventually my captain died, unable to ever penetrate the lord’s 2+ save.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels defeat. Duncan had four objectives and first blood (13 victory points), to my nothing.

My army really lacked ways to deal with the Necrons, particularly Duncan’s vehicles. I should have kept my bikers together, using the non-melta equipped ones as ablative armour. That would have enabled me to keep the unit in the fight long enough to fire on the vehicles and take one or two out. My dreadnought continued to disappoint. It simply can’t last long enough to close on the enemy. If only there was a way to have it strike deep into enemy territory where it can immediately fire its multi-melta within half range then get stuck into melee. The tactical squad should have been fanning out, rather than moving as one, so that the missile launcher could have fired more. I have also realised I’m wasting my scouts. They’re equipped for close combat yet I keep plonking them on an objective out of range and just sitting there the whole game. It has been suggested to me now by both Rich and Duncan that I give them a missile launcher. While I agree that is best given how I currently use them, I have decided that from now on I’ll be more aggressive with them. I plan to have them deploy as scouts and outflank. This should protect them from harm early on and then get them stuck into the enemy. Most importantly, I’ve realised that the game lasts a minimum of five turns, so you can probably afford to spend the first three engaging the enemy before you move onto objectives. I have been keeping both my tactical squad and scout squads on objectives and out of the fight too much. My army is too small for me to keep doing that.

I remembered overwatch and jink, but forgot to test for the red thirst. I never charged though, so it made no difference to the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19 2012, 14:23 
Committee Member

Month 5

Clytus Squadron

Formerly squad Clytus, this unit suffered terribly at the hands of a Dark Eldar ambush. With four of the squad members killed in action Captain Dardanus was hesitant to re-commit them to battle until new recruits were available to fill their ranks. Recent engagements have revealed a weakness in the strike force however, convincing Dardanus of the need to field Clytus once more; not as an assault squad but as a land speeder squadron. Armed with heavy bolters and typhoon missiles, Clytus squadron poses a significant threat to infantry formations and plugs a gap in the strike force’s composition.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28 2013, 22:00 
Committee Member

Month 6

Captain Dardanus and Honour Guard

As the conflicts with the Tyranids and Necrons increase in intensity, Captain Dardanus has decided that only his personal intervention can win the day and allow his strike force to continue with its quest for a cure to the flaw. Dardanus prefers to descend from the skies using his jump pack, and his honour guard follows suite.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16 2013, 20:11 
Committee Member

Battle 7
Scenario: Multiplayer finale
The Armies: 1550 points versus Duncan’s Necrons and Rich’s Tyranids. We each had the forces shown in the map below, plus I had my honour guard and captain ready to deploy via deep strike, and my dreadnought was ready to deploy via drop pod. Duncan had two night scythes in reserve, one carrying his lord and immortals, and the other with warriors.
The Battlefield:
Attachment:
Battle Report BA 7.png
Battle Report BA 7.png [ 79.56 KiB | Viewed 4846 times ]

Pre-battle: My warlord trait was Legendary Fighter, so I could gain victory points by killing enemy warlord in close combat. My new captain and his honour guard were tooled up for combat, so this could help if I could get them stuck in. Duncan rolled Master of Ambush – totally useless. Rich rolled Inspiring Presence, oh so useful for the Hive Mind. Duncs won the roll-off for deployment and chose to go first – neither Rich nor myself were able to seize the initiative. We had agreed to play in a clockwise order for the whole game, so I would always be second and Rich third. I hadn’t played in nearly six weeks and had been playing a lot of Necromunda in that time, so I was quite rusty (having never been that good to begin with). Other than wanting my dreadnought to drop pod in behind a Necron vehicle I had no plan whatsoever. I completely forgot to roll for Red Thirst again – I was thinking of nothing but the large amount of Tyranids on my left flank.

The Game: Objective six was nothing of note. Night fighting was in effect turn one. The woods that TT1 were partially deployed in were Brainleaf Fronds. Duncan began by having NA1 shoot the hell out of my bikers, killing four of them. His warriors moved towards objective four and his wraith moved towards objective five. The doomsday ark fired on my terminators to little effect, and his other annihilation ark fired on Rich’s termagants. The ghostark advanced towards the centre of the table. In my turn my bikers moved forward and returned fire on the annihilation ark to no effect. They could have charged, but I forgot you could assault in this game. My terminators advanced towards the Necron line, while my landseeder squadron fired on the second set of termagants, killing quite a few. My drop pod landed behind the Necron line and my dreadnought failed to hurt anything with its multi-melta. Rich had his harpy fly right up to my tactical squad, while the rest of his army advanced (avoiding the Brainleaf Fronds where necessary). Over all turn one was very uneventful due to the night fighting rule.

By the start of turn two we knew that objectives five and four were sabotaged and objectives one and two were nothing of note. Duncan’s night scythe turned up carrying his warriors, blasting Rich’s harpy out of the sky as it flew in. His annihilation barge killed another two of my bikers, his ghostark glanced my dreadnought to death, and his wraiths charged my scouts, tearing them up badly. His warriors claimed objective four. I responded by having my bikers shoot at the annihilation barge again (ineffectively as always) and then charge in. Only the sergeant could hurt it with his power fist and he rolled snake eyes to penetrate. I threw more firepower at the advancing tyranids which did little more than kill a few termagants. Rich’s biovore fired on my tactical squad and missed badly, killing the lone survivor of my scout squad and freeing the wraith up from the combat in the process. His termagants claimed objective three and revealed it to be a Grav Wave Generator. His massed firepower was directed at my landspeeders, which suffered badly.

In Duncan’s third turn his other night scythe turned up. It dropped his lord and immortals on objective five. Duncan then focussed fire on the carnifexes, killing both. He just had enough shooting left to fire on the warriors, inflicting three wounds. Unfortunately for Rich, his prime was leading from the front and failed all three look out sir rolls. Duncan scored a victory point for killing a warlord. At this point we realised we were running out of time so we would have to end the game after turn three. My bikers continued trying to kill the annihilation barge in vain. My tactical squad ran to claim objective six, and my last remaining land speeder and terminators wiped out the remaining termagants holding objective one. At last my captain and his honour guard arrived, dropping in behind the Necron Lord. But at this late stage of the game, it was too little too late. They felled an immortal with shooting, but could do nothing else. Duncan and I reviewed the scores so far and were confident Duncan had won – he had one objective, first blood and a warlord kill and Rich only had a single objective and could only possible claim one more. Rich took his turn anyway, and shocked us both my claiming objectives one, two and three. I still don’t know how we miss-calculated.

Battle Outcome: Blood Angels defeat. Rich won with nine victory points (three objectives), Duncan had one objective, a warlord kill and first blood (five victory points), while I had a sole objective and line breaker (the drop pod deployed in Duncan’s deployment zone) for four victory points.

Again, I had little that could hurt the Necrons, and the few weapons I did have performed terribly. I fared better against the Tyranids, but it was the Necrons that did most of the bug squishing. I just get the feeling that Space Marine units are always too small – not enough wounds or attacks – to be effective. The dreadnought is going to get dropped and I’m going to get more scoring units. Having only the two really hurts, especially when the scouts get engaged as they never last long.

I remembered overwatch and jink, but forgot to test for the red thirst (it could have actually made a difference this game).

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2